Friday, March 28, 2014

WE, the people


One of the items that I like to keep when I find them are bookmarks.
I have a nice little collection which are mainly of bookstores where the last owner purchased the book. It is interesting to see if the bookstore is still around or if they have gone out of business.
I also wonder sometimes, depending on where the bookmark is located, if the previous owner ever got a chance to finish the book at all.

One of my favorites is this one: It's a simple leather fringed bookmark, probably mass produced and contains the preamble to the Constitution of the United States of America. it's just a reminder of the freedom people have to read books not just in the United States but around the world and I mean the freedom to write books too. There have been many times throughout history when this could have been changed but luckily for most of us those attempts were stifled.

I would love to hear what your favorite item is to bookmark pages.

No comments: